History of the Donald House
The house at 304 North Second Street, Yakima, was originally the home of George Donald and his family. It was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in December 1976. It was the first building to be placed on the Yakima Register of Historic Places in February 2006.
In April 1929, Mrs. Donald offered to sell her house for $30,000 to the Woman’s Club. The price included almost all the furnishings in the residence. The house was remodeled after the purchase. The third floor was eliminated to make a higher ceiling and the four bedrooms and three baths were combined to make the auditorium.
The dining room furniture was a special order by A.W. Ambrose of the custom furniture department of the Cascade Lumber Company. They also made the matching dining room woodwork and cabinets. The dining room furniture is still used today.
The library has the original deep red flocked wallpaper, maroon velvet curtains and a small desk. There are four beautiful Chinese teak chairs and two small tables that are over 120 years old and were a gift to Mr. Donald. The marble bust on the mantle and the reproduction of the Mona Lisa are also part of the original furnishings.